I accidentally used Clorox bleach and Magic Erasers, will I be okay?
They designed Magic Erasers for you to use without chemicals. They are often best used with just water. Assuming your sink is ceramic or porcelain, the use of a Magic Eraser would be fine. If you have a stainless steel sink, a more preferable cleaning solution is a no scratch scrub sponge, like a Scotch Brite with a dab of Dawn Dish soap. That will take off any grease, hair dye, sticky residue, soap scum, food debris etc. Stainless steel has a shine that can be dulled with Magic Erasers.
Magic Erasers are super fun to use. I love them but mostly for smudge prints on white doors around door handles, switch plates for lights, and under the rims of toilets. A wet eraser sponge works best, but because they are slightly abrasive, they also work well when dry. I wouldn’t add any other cleaning solutions while using a Magic Eraser.
The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for Magic Erasers suggests there is no harm in what you did, so you should be okay.
What’s in those Magic Erasers?
Here is a great breakdown of the chemicals included in a magic eraser by Wired Magazine
Magic erasers by themselves appear to harmless to people when used as directed.
Here is a note from Proctor & Gamble the creators of Magic Eraser:
The ingredients in Magic Eraser have been safely and commonly used for many years in a wide range of household products.
In fact, no ingredients in Magic Eraser are subject to any health-related labeling laws in North America or in the European Union.
We hope you find this information reassuring. You can continue to use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with full confidence in its performance and safety for you and members of your family. For additional information, please call Magic Eraser support at 1-800-867-2532.
So what makes the Magic Erasers magic?
The use of the word magic is a marketing ploy – and a brilliant one at that. With a bit of elbow grease, Magic Erasers can make grime, dirt, fingerprints, grease and other gunk disappear.
The sponges themselves disintegrate after one or two uses and that’s sort of magical I suppose. “Use this and watch the dirt and the sponge disappear before your very eyes.”
Common errors caused by Magic Erasers
- Using Magic Erasers on colored flat paint will erase some of the paint.
- Magic Erasers on leather will dull the finish of the leather – don’t do it.
- The use of Magic Erasers on shiny finishes can dull the finish.
- Using Magic Erasers to remove gunk from the surface of wooden kitchen cabinets can erase the shiny varnish.
- Leaving them out where a dog can chew on them can cause the dog to choke.
Consumer product package has the following precautionary statement: “Caution: keep out of reach of children. Keep out of reach of toddlers and pets to avoid accidental ingestion. Do not use on skin or other parts of the body. Using on skin will likely cause abrasions.”
29 Amazing uses for Magic Erasers
- Greasy hood ranges over kitchen stoves
- White high gloss painted areas like door jams
- Window sills, metal doors (garage doors)
- Plastic light switches
- Plastic children’s toys
- Plastic lawn furniture
- Sticky fingerprints off piano keys
- Scum build up from the center wringer in washing machines
- Plastic dog bones and animal chew toys
- Food splatters from inside the microwave
- Crayon marks from walls and flooring
- Gunk from vinyl flooring
- Hairspray residue from fiberglass or marble bathtubs and sinks
- Grass stains from tennis shoes
- Scuffs from hard shell luggage
- Dried food and bugs from faux window blinds
- Black scuff marks from hardwood floors
- Sticky food and drink residue from kids car seats
- Magic marker residue from whiteboards
- Tire rims and whitewalls
- Rust stains from shaving cans in showers
- Burned gunk on pot, pans and crockpots
- Mold off vinyl siding
- Ring around the bathtub
- Soap and scale scum from shower glass doors
- Coffee stains from mugs & coffee pots
- Algae build up inside vases of living plants
- Remove under the rim of the toilet crud
- Soap scum build up on the door of front load washing machines.
Do you have a use for Magic Erasers I didn’t think of?
How to Start Your Own House Cleaning Company